Provide and/or coordinate estimating services on multiple projects in varying market sectors and contract types. An Estimator shall have a basic understanding of construction costs as it relates to all building systems. Estimators shall be able to handle multiple trades on either an estimate or bid. They shall also have a basic understanding of how to compile an estimate and cover all construction aspects appropriately. Team player expected to communicate and work closely with clients and UAG staff. Direct report to the Preconstruction Manager.
PRIMARY TIER (manage/prepare directly)
Overall Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all project files for assigned projects are named and filed in accordance with the UAG Estimating Department’s electronic project file directory structure. Maintain all working documents and data to back-up estimate figures.
- Prepare quantity take-off’s by utilizing quantity surveying software (i.e. Bluebeam, Onscreen, etc.) as necessary.
- Level subcontractor proposals using department scope sheet templates for assigned trades on Bids.
- Enter project metrics and financial data for all projects assigned as Lead into historical data sheets.
- Review and incorporate historical data from subcontracts, purchase orders, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit costs.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings, attend pre-bid/design meetings, determine scope of work, determine required proposal/bid deliverables, ascertain potential risks, follow-up for in-house operations plans, etc. when assigned as Lead on estimates and bids.
- Prepare complete conceptual, schematic, design development and final construction document estimates as well as estimating tracking and variance reports.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the key employees of the subcontracting and material supply firms that UAG engages with on our projects.
- Understand, develop and maintain a thorough understanding and knowledge of current market conditions.
SECONDARY TIER (oversight and assist)
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the project team in the purchasing, leveling and award of subcontracts.
- Assist the project team in the preparation of subcontracts and purchase orders accurately and in a timely manner for approval by the Project Executive or Senior Project Manager.
- Assist the project team in the development and maintenance of purchasing schedules that assure accurate and timely contract awards, approvals and execution of subcontract agreements.
- Enforce UAG’s Corporate Safety plan by ensuring all related elements are accounted for during preconstruction, specifically estimating.
- Promote the UAG “Excellence 360” culture to our clients, subcontractors, communities we are working in and the public at large.
Educational and experience requirements include: 4-year engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical or field related experience, plus at least five years’ experience/knowledge of construction estimating, cost controls and engineering required. Thorough understanding of industry practices, estimating procedures and the New York construction market. Ability to manage multiple project estimates and deliverables as well as all types of projects and contracts.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are a must. Ability to be tactful, respectful, influential and diplomatic when dealing with clients, subcontractors and co-workers. Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction including safety, risk mitigation & control methods, operational means & methods and technology.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.