We are currently seeking a Senior Estimator with strong skills in providing and/or coordinating estimating services on multiple projects in varying market sectors and contract types. Our Estimator shall have a strong understanding of construction costs as they relate to all building systems, and should be able to handle multiple tasks for an estimate or bid. They should also have a good understanding of how to compile an estimate and cover all construction aspects appropriately, and, critically, have a very strong customer service focus (both internally and externally based).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all project files for assigned projects are named and filed in accordance with internal electronic project file directory structure. Maintain all working documents and data to back-up estimate figures.
- Prepare quantity take-off’s by utilizing surveying software (i.e. Bluebeam, Onscreen, etc.) as necessary.
- Create solid Value Engineering (VE) options for clients.
- Level subcontractor proposals using department scope sheet templates for assigned trades on Bids.
- Strong people and communication skills; must be very comfortable presenting estimates to clients.
- Enter project metrics and financial data for all projects assigned as Lead into historical data sheets.
- Review and incorporate historical data from subcontracts, purchase orders, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit costs.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings, attend pre-bid/design meetings, determine scope of work, determine required proposal/bid deliverables, ascertain potential risks, follow-up for in-house operations plans, etc. when assigned as Lead on estimates and bids.
- Prepare complete conceptual, schematic, design development and final construction document estimates as well as estimating tracking and variance reports.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the key employees of the subcontracting and material supply firms that we engage with on our projects.
- Understand, develop and maintain a thorough understanding and knowledge of current market conditions.
- Lead and/or assist the project team in the purchasing, leveling and award of subcontracts as well as partnering with the project team in the preparation of subcontracts and purchase orders in an accurate and timely manner.
- Enforce our Corporate Safety plan by ensuring all related elements are accounted for during pre-construction, specifically estimating.
Educational and experience requirements include: 4-year engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical or field related experience, plus at least five years’ experience/knowledge of construction estimating, cost controls and engineering required. Thorough understanding of industry practices, estimating procedures and the New York construction market. Ability to manage multiple project estimates and deliverables as well as all types of projects and contracts.