The Safety Specialist is a position that reports to the Safety Manager and works closely with him/her for developing UAG best practice safety policies. The Safety Specialist will work closely with UAG operations team ensuring regulatory safety compliance and loss control related subjects including but not limited to: safety, health, environmental, fire protection and prevention. Observes and enforces compliance to NFPA, OSHA, NEC, DOT, FDNY and NYC DOB, and insurance related matters for UAG.
The Safety Specialist will help minimize the risk exposed on job sites and related accidents. They will monitor operations to eliminate hazardous activities, audit UAG projects for unsafe behaviors and compliance with all federal, state, local, standards and / or regulations and UAG policies.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements and monitors the UAG Safety E 360 IIF program.
- Assists the Safety Manager in developing and modifying policies and procedures for the implementation of UAG Safety E 360 IIF program.
- Will be the Prime reviewer of contractor safety and health manuals and programs including environmental, health and safety plans (EHaSP and Site Safety Plans)
- Reviews High Risk Activity Pre-Plans, High Risk START Cards and Daily START Cards for projects.
- Travels to construction sites and interfaces with project managers, superintendents and third party safety consultants as a resource to advise work rules compliance for all matters regarding UAG Safety 360 IIF program.
- Works with UAG Safety Manager to analyze predictive analytic data.
- Works with UAG Safety Manager recording loss control metrics to track and trend contractor performance including accident (industrial and general liability) and fire incidents, near misses and internal staff complaints or issues.
- Inspects the construction sites to assure compliance with UAG Safety 360 IIF Program including safety document management and all local, state, & federal regulations / standards.
- Assists the Safety Manager in developing training programs related to UAG Safety 360 IIF program.
- Oversees the enforcement of disciplinary action procedures by contractors.
- Assists UAG Safety Manager in conducting training for UAG staff and contractors including tool box talks, OHSA related training subjects, NYC SST certifications.
- Liaise with UAG staff and 3rd party vendors and report findings to UAG Safety Manager.
5 years of progressive experience in building and major projects construction. Four-year degree in related discipline and construction safety or Qualified Construction qualifications / certifications. Knowledge of federal, state and local safety, fire and building codes and safety rules and standards for construction is essential.