The Purchasing Agent will work with, and coordinate with multiple projects, project teams, and office employees and be responsible for day-to-day project level purchasing activities. The Purchasing Agent will be responsible for leading project bid procedures and managing project teams to facilitate the effectiveness of purchasing strategies. The Purchasing Agent will work as an integral part of the overall Purchasing Team. The Purchasing Team is responsible for all aspects of a project purchasing phase and oversight of contract management from award to closeout, including risk management, and will also assist the preconstruction and project team during estimating and GMP periods. The Purchasing Team coordinates closely with the Operations, Preconstruction, and Executive Teams, as well as Clients and Subcontractors and is expected to effectively communicate at all times.
Summary of Essential Functions
• Develop, maintain, and cultivate effective working relationships with the key employees of the subcontracting and material supply firms that UAG engages with on our projects.
• Manage the UAG procurement process for individual projects including initial set up of Purchasing Schedules, development and oversight of trade bid packages, bid forms, leveling sheets, written scopes of work from initial bid through Subcontract Award.
• Manage Subcontractor Agreements including negotiating terms and, when applicable, coordinating with the Sr. Purchasing Agent and Purchasing Manager, as well as monitoring the execution, modifications, concerns, etc. of all project agreements from bidding through contract signature.
• Prepare Subcontract Execution Authorization forms with the Purchasing Assistant.
• Possess a full understanding contract terms.
• Possess a full understanding of insurance products, including CCIP, and various risk management strategies.
• Manage Subcontractor insurance requirements with the Risk Engineer.
• Manage the job specific Bidder’s lists including working with the Sr. Purchasing Agent/SVP/Project Executive for subcontractor selection. Spearhead the tracking of all pre-qualifications and risk management profiles. Ensure balance in the award process to maximum the use of all subcontractors.
• Attend client and project meetings, including design meetings when required in order to facilitate the purchasing of all subcontract agreements.
• Ensure that all MWLBE workplace participation goals are being met by implementing and tracking percentages during preconstruction, procurement, and construction. Maintain a master’s bidder’s list for all MWLBE subcontractors. In addition, assist with management of ensuring that all projects comply with the UAG M/WLBE Policy and Procedures.
• Enforce UAG’s Corporate Safety plan by ensuring all related elements are accounted for during procurement. Assist the Operations Staff in creating standards for Major Safety items such as OSHA Protection awards, 6’ fall for Steel, Concrete Deck tie-off, etc. Assist Operations with ensuring that all contract documents are up to date with any Safety Modifications.
• Promote the UAG “Excellence 360” culture to our clients, subcontractors, communities we are working in and the public at large.
• Follow up on subcontractor performance after contract award to ensure that their performance is consistent with contract requirements. Keep senior management informed of potential problems or issues.
• Participate in the preparation of GMP’s, Estimate milestones, and/or lump sum bids.
• Post Subcontracts to project budget and accounting ledger using UAG’s CMiC System
• Coordinate with Accounting Team during the requisition process to ensure all purchasing, insurance, and risk management requirements are met prior to payment
Summary of Secondary Functions
• Assist Purchasing Team in Maintaining the Master Subcontractor Database
• Assist in updating and maintaining Subcontractor Unit Price Database
• Assist in updating and maintaining Subcontractor Labor Rate Database
• Assist in updating and maintaining UAG General Conditions Database
• Collect, review, and distribute as required Subcontractor Insurance Certificates
• Coordinate with UAG’s insurance broker as required
• Assist in new business efforts including estimating/preconstruction tasks
4-year college degree or equivalent work experience desired.
Previously 3-5 years experience in Construction, Estimating and Purchasing preferred.
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
Working knowledge of CMIC is preferred.
Working knowledge of TradeTapp/Subcontract Underwriting is preferred.
· Ability to manage and prioritize tasks/projects with little supervision.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Positive attitude and effective team player.